Celebrating its 25th anniversary!
Disputes over cultural activity at the Riemergasse 11 have raged since the 16th century, yet the cellar has been used for performances since the 19th century.
Although proof is elusive that the original builder and owner of the house was a well-known actress, it’s certain is that the following theatrical establishments flourished here in one way or another: The Eagle Owl, presenting the cabaret "Uhu", Panspiele, The Viennese Blue Bird, the German-Russian cabaret "The Blue Bird" (an extremely successful cabaret of Russian emigrants) and its offshoot “The Moscow Art Games", Art Games, Boccaccio and finally, Rondell, first mentioned in 1953. Just before the federal government acquired the building for independent theatre use in 1993, it was "Vienna's first smokers’ cinema" as well as its "first, best and only erotic establishment". More information here: http://www.porgy.at/